Last week was very productive. Just a couple normal days off with the normal cleaning routine..clean the kitchen, do the laundry, vacuum, pick up odds & ends…BUT I also was able to make three pie doughs, one for this quiche, the other two for a strawberry rhubarb pie AND I started making the skirt that I talked about in this post from February…sometimes I just need a push. And last week I pushed myself. Stay tuned this week to see the finished skirt…YAY! For now, enjoy this savory pie, which was delicious for dinner, but even better the next morning for breakfast!
Quiche is simple enough to make, and you can really use any ingredients that you choose, whatever your taste buds are hungry for. I’ve made them with ham, bacon, and even chorizo before. And you can use pretty much any veggies you like as well, but just remember, the more moisture in the veggie, the longer the quiche may take to bake, or it might make the crust a little soggy.
For this quiche I just cleaned out the refrigerator and put whatever I had on hand in it, which consisted of turkey bacon, frozen spinach, baby bella mushrooms, green onions, rosemary and a little bit of feta cheese & extra sharp cheddar. And voila!
Turkey Bacon, Spinach & Mushroom Quiche
with Rosemary & Green OnionsRecipe adapted from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook
Makes 1 9.5″ pie, serves 12
- One Pie Crust for a 9 or 9.5 inch pie plate (If you are going to use a fresh pie dough make sure you make this ahead of time as it needs to chill 2 hours before it is rolled out.)
- 15 slices turkey bacon, fully cooked, cut up into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, squeezed thoroughly so no juice remains
- 1/2 cup diced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tbs. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 cups cheese (I used feta & sharp cheddar mixed together)
- 6 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- dash of salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425*F. Cook bacon according to package, let cool a few minutes before cutting into 1/2″ pieces. Wash & dry veggies, cut into even pieces, about 1/2″. Squeeze all moisture out of spinach so that it is very dry. Roll pie dough out for the 9″ or 9.5″ pie plate, and place into plate.
- In a large bowl, gently whisk 6 eggs and milk together, add cheese. Add remaining ingredients, bacon, spinach, mushrooms, green onions & rosemary. Stir all ingredients together, and pour into the pie shell.
- Cook quiche at 425*F for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300*F, and cook for 45-55 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If crust looks like it is starting to get too brown, wrap foil around crust so it doesn’t cook as fast (careful not to burn yourself). My quiche still had a little bit of moisture in the center, but I just soaked it up with a napkin, and it was ready to eat. Enjoy!